Skip to main content

Reply to "2022 High School Season"

@LousyLefty posted:

It's so bad the public schools are asking to change the rules, opening to recruiting for all schools.  I can almost forgive the recruiting during middle school, but the transfers of kids going in to their senior season leaves a really sour taste in my mouth.  I feel like the sit-out period should be longer.  On the other hand they are really, really good.  And really fun to watch.

After freshman year of high school my son was offered an academic scholarship to a private Catholic ** if he played at least baseball and soccer. He was also a basketball player. This was a perennial participant in the state baseball playoffs. He was a top student. But the connection humored me.

Until the school approached with the scholarship he was badgered by athletes and friends he knew who were already there. The kids did the recruiting. The academic ride was the attempted close. After all, recruiting is illegal.

He stayed at his high school. The private Catholic went to states the next three years and won once while his high school only went once. But his soccer team went to states three times.

** Think Mater Dei, Servite relative to Southern CA. I lived in SoCal for 22 years.

Last edited by RJM