Skip to main content

Reply to "2022 High School Season"

@Triple J posted:

Are we at a time where society has degenerated to the point where the dystopic actions that we are discussing have become commonplace and now are the norm rather than the exception? I mean, there are states legalizing illicit narcotics (heroin, cocaine) and they are being applauded by large segments of our society. Is baseball and other sports just becoming a micro of the macro society? It's troubling and concerning to me, but it seems as though others are apathetic.   

Facts matter.  

Cocaine is not a narcotic. No state has legalized heroin or cocaine for recreational use. Cocaine has been legal in the US for medical use for some time.

Decriminalization and defelonization are not the same as legalization. And in the instance of Oregon, it wasn’t the “state” that decriminalized, but the voters who passed the ballot initiative. In Colorado, it was the state senate and house representatives that passed it, representing the will of their electorate.

There are certainly some areas of society can one can argue as being dystopic, but I for one don’t feel that the dismantling of the  wasteful and racist 50 year old “war on drugs” is one of them. And a large majority of Americans (70% by most counts) feel that the federal drug policies are not working and need reform. But that’s completely off topic here.

On topic: I love appropriate emotion in games. But I think it’s hard for all of us to define “inappropriate”, other than to channel Justice Potter Stewart’s “I know it when I see it”.