Skip to main content

Reply to "2022 High School Season"

Played a middling team yesterday (game 2 of 3 due to weather today).

Their bench was awfully loud and obnoxious even though they were down 8-1 in the 3rd.

In the 4th their catcher gets on 2nd and wasn't even shy about it.  He's yelling "inside" or  "outside"  on every pitch giving location......if you want to be subtle about it ok, but I still digress.

I'm tracking pitch count by the dugout and before I can even say anything to the son (he's at SS) he gives me the "zip it" sign to his mouth.

Catcher comes up 2 innings later, our catcher sets up so far outside on 1st pitch it is crazy.......................batter dives for outside pitch and ball goes behind him.  I get a little grin, nod my head, and take a sip of my diet coke and feel a little of that baseball player / dad moment that gets you all warm inside.

Next inning when son came up to bat there looked to be a one-sided 10 second conversation w/ the catcher.

Got home later and asked what he said, and he said "I just told him don't do that, or he's going to get one of his teammates hurt one day".

It's the little things sometimes.

Earlier this week we had a Dad for the opposing team set up right behind the backstop calling where the catcher setup every time.  We won 11-1 in six, so it really did not matter.  But it reminded me why I never sit behind home or with other parents.  This field was designed in a way we could only sit in the bleachers.