Skip to main content

Reply to "2022 High School Season"

I hear many umpire associations are looking for new members - seems we have a couple volunteers here

Consistency is hard when your P gets lucky 1 out of every 5 pitches and it crosses the plate... Some have no idea where the ball is going when it leaves their hand - scary, huh? There are C's that don't help their P out by awful mechanics - snatching, rolling, falling. Damn you know a curve is coming don't freaking stand up!! There's far too many parents that believe it's where the C receives the ball that matters.  I've seen C be > 4' behind the tip of the plate - go figure how hard that can be on an umpire!

A baseball is ~3" in diameter, the plate is 17" wide, there is supposed to be 6" between plate and outside edge/line of the batters box... If a bat averages 32" - there's a math quiz about reachability especially for 6' batter, but I agree a ball in the other box shouldn't be a strike...  So it's not every umpire ;-)... Down the channel - sure it's possible.  If the "true zone" was called *both ways* in every game, it'd probably a much longer game - is that what you want? Or do you want the strike zone as written only for your batter? It's not an exact science and there's so much that goes into it.