Skip to main content

Reply to "2022 Outfielder questions"

I agree with CabbageDad that OF is a difficult position to get recruited for.  From what I've seen in my son's college baseball experience, most coaches will recruit a CF then fill the corner outfield with guys that can hit while teaching them to play the outfield.   If they don't hit, then the coach goes to the bench looking for someone who can.   Hitting is absolutely key.

If recruited = passion + skill + exposure + persistence + luck then it seems to me you've got to solve for the exposure part of the equation which means you're going to need to (heavily) lean on your travel organization AND find individual showcases or recruiting prospect camps (not skills camps) that meet your son's goals.  This is essentially what my son (RHP) did initially.   His travel HC introduced him to a number of college RCs that began recruiting him.  The RCs started a dialogue with him and watched him play numerous times before eventually  offering.   While these activities were going on, my son was also attending individual showcases and camps where his travel HC did not have a relationship.   We did keep the travel HC updated on everything we were doing on our own...this is really important.   Ultimately, it was through our strategy & efforts that my son found the best school based on his goals.   

Your son has impressive metrics and I believe he'll have some opportunities especially if he does well on the SAT/ACT.   I think you need to work on your exposure strategy and share it with your travel coach so he can best help you.   I hope this helps in some small way.

Good luck!

Last edited by fenwaysouth