Skip to main content

Reply to "2022 - Where can I get a good assessment?"

coachld posted:

Check out Cal Poly. Great engineering school and a quality D1 baseball program.

CoachLD, this is kinda funny... I'm California throwing out a Colorado example (School of Mines) and you're Colorado throwing out a California example. 

Poly is in my back yard (25 minute drive).  These two schools represent some interesting dynamics with the choices a player with engineering path will be faced with.  Cal Poly is often a top 25 ranked D1 baseball program.  The engineering program is absolutely top notch but the school has a full breadth of other majors and I don't believe very many of the players are engineering majors (they don't list this).  I do recall when a few players who were engineer majors had success on the field, it was celebrated in the media as an extremely difficult path to conquer.  I know what coach Lee recruits (I've had a few players play for him and/or been on his radar) and you better be a true top D1 prospect to get his attention.  And don't expect special allowance given to your schedule as it pertains to dealing with a difficult major with heavy lab and/or external requirements.

School of Mines has a very good D2 baseball program and almost every single player is an engineering major, as are most at the school.  So, the baseball program working around class and lab schedules is far more likely in this scenario.  Also, your roommates are going to also be engineering majors, etc.

Not saying one is better or worse but good examples of what to be aware of.

Last edited by cabbagedad