Reply to "2022 - Where can I get a good assessment?"

Gunner Mack Jr. posted:
LousyLefty posted:

The problem is that many of the great Engineering schools that are a good academic fit are strong baseball programs as well.

How realistic is it to be an Engineering major and a D1 baseball player?  I am just throwing it out there because one of my son's teammates was told directly by a school (D3) they prefer not to recruit engineering majors due to the workload.....   Just relaying what I heard.   

This became a major factor in my son's recruiting journey. He wants to do civil engineering (eventually architecture) and play baseball. Once he started serious conversations with coaches, he learned quickly how critical it would be to find a school where this combination was supported by both coaches and faculty. Some HAs (even an Ivy with a strong engineering program) told him they "don't really have any engineering majors on their rosters"... I agree with Gov that the service academies are a great option (my son considered Air Force Academy). Northwestern University has also had a few engineering/STEM majors on their roster in the last couple of years. Remains to be seen if my son can successfully pull it off, but he was determined to try and find this type of fit which eliminated a lot of schools along the way. It won't be easy and he knows it :-)