Skip to main content

Reply to "2022s - Summer and Fall 2021"

It's been very quiet here in our area, but the next 4 weeks will be the most telling I think.  This is right around the time a year ago when commitments started coming in.   Reality is setting in for lots of 2022s that A) they will not play D1 and B) they will not be playing (at least initially) for a program with a "big" name.  I've said it here before, but I firmly believe our area has an epidemic.  90%+ of kids around here will tell you "I want to go D1, but if that doesn't happen, I'll go to XCC."  X being a national powerhouse Juco that is 15 minutes away in the neighboring state.  Not only do these kids believe it, so do their parents.  So, yeah, this is the time of reckoning for 2022s around here.

I've learned a TON from HSBBW and my own experiences of my 2021's recruiting journey and I try to share as much of it with 2022 parents.  But most don't like a lot of what I share.  One point that's come up a lot lately is the fact that the MARKET decides what level a kid is going to play at.  And at how "good" of a program he'll play at within that level.  The market clearly decides this for the player.  Not the kid's talents.  Not the kid's measurables.  Not the parent's assessments.  Not where other players ended up.  Not where "subject matter experts" say you're worthy of.

I know a 2022 father whose position player son absolutely is capable of playing D1.  His measurables are all D1 per all the standard charts, his height and weight are full on D1 (he looks the part - is highly projectible), and he's producing large numbers this summer.  I - and many others - look at everything he has and brings to the table and feel VERY confident he is D1 caliber.  Absolutely worthy and capable in every way.  But to date, he's got one NAIA, one D1 Juco and one D2 Juco offer.  None are "big" names.  On paper it makes no sense.  And as much as I've learned, it surprises even me.  But the cold, hard, unfortunate reality is that the market has set the value of this kid.  It's no different than oil or lobster on a restaurant menu.  But both kids and parents REALLY struggle to accept the value the market assesses of them.  I think many are pinning their hopes to a sudden market correction in the next month or so.  Even though there are zero signs one is coming.

Last edited by DanJ