Skip to main content

Reply to "2022Wildcat Intro"

Iowamom23 posted:
Goosegg posted:

Start visiting local colleges and - on vacations - nearby colleges. Doesn't matter initially if those schools would be acceptable - you're looking at things like size, facilities, majors, etc. It can be a formidable task which can't really be rushed (because there is just so much info to absorb). Go to a bunch of local college games (all divisions and JUCOS) to get a feel for the levels of play. 

My 2018 said later that every visit helped, even those schools he immediately ruled out. He learned what he liked, and what he didn't.

This^^^^^    The visit can apply to any kid...doesn't have to be an athlete.  You are going to be living there for the next 4 years of your life.  And it's not just the campus, you have to consider the town/city and what it may or may not offer...especially if it's a major change (either larger or smaller) from where your son grew up.  My daughter had several schools she was interested in when she was choosing where to attend as a nursing major.  The first one she visited was fairly "local" D3.  She got to campus, was there maybe 20 minutes and said "nope, this is too small"....which surprised us considering the campus (with only 2300 students)  had more people than our little small town where she had grown up lol.  She visited 5 or 6....all bigger than the first that was "too small".  She loved Pittsburgh, (the city and school) and ended up at Ohio State, which I would never have suspected at the start of the search.  She loved every minute of it and even though she's now graduated & moved back closer to home...still loves everything about Columbus and gets back there at least once a month to visit.

Last edited by Buckeye 2015