Skip to main content

Reply to "2023 College baseball Season"

@PABaseball posted:

If you don't mind me asking - how did your son end up choosing Crowder? Was that the local school or was he recruited by other top jucos as well? Were there D1s in the mix?

I know how good the top jucos are. Always wondered how they did their recruiting for non transfers.

I can't comment on @PABaseball's journey, and @adbono would be best to answer this, but here are a few thoughts on how some end up at JuCo's:

• HS players that are legitimately in the draft conversion and want to improve their stock pick the highest profile JuCo's.
  • High-profile D1's have relationships with top JuCo's and direct kids that they've hosed by pulling back offers and/or feel they need playing time and/or maturity to contribute at the next level.
  • JuCo HC's often have relationships with foreign programs (at Hill College, they had a channel from PR and Aus).
  • JuCo HC's also often have relationships with a network of HS head coaches - I've seen a stream of one or two players from the same HS for several consecutive years.
  • JuCo camps - my son was offered at Blinn immediately after the camp ended. He'd already committed to Hill and went to the camp because the $50 was gone regardless, and any chance to play was a good day.
  • Reference - I called the HC at Hill and arranged a private tryout. I was given the number by a current player's father, who told the HC I'd be calling.
  • Cold-calling the coach (I'd left a VM for the HC at McLennan), he returned the call and attempted to get my son to reconsider after hearing he had a spot at Hill.

I'm sure @adbono can add many more channels...