Skip to main content

Reply to "2023 College baseball Season"

@JucoDad posted:

I can't comment on @PABaseball's journey, and @adbono would be best to answer this, but here are a few thoughts on how some end up at JuCo's:

• HS players that are legitimately in the draft conversion and want to improve their stock pick the highest profile JuCo's.
  • High-profile D1's have relationships with top JuCo's and direct kids that they've hosed by pulling back offers and/or feel they need playing time and/or maturity to contribute at the next level.
  • JuCo HC's often have relationships with foreign programs (at Hill College, they had a channel from PR and Aus).
  • JuCo HC's also often have relationships with a network of HS head coaches - I've seen a stream of one or two players from the same HS for several consecutive years.
  • JuCo camps - my son was offered at Blinn immediately after the camp ended. He'd already committed to Hill and went to the camp because the $50 was gone regardless, and any chance to play was a good day.
  • Reference - I called the HC at Hill and arranged a private tryout. I was given the number by a current player's father, who told the HC I'd be calling.
  • Cold-calling the coach (I'd left a VM for the HC at McLennan), he returned the call and attempted to get my son to reconsider after hearing he had a spot at Hill.

I'm sure @adbono can add many more channels...

That’s a pretty good summary @JucoDad. I see most guys recruited as a result of on campus camps, private tryouts, and word of mouth recommendations. I especially like camps that have coaches from a number of JuCos in a region. But all the things you mentioned are viable ways to be recruited to a JuCo. Former teammates of recruits are a good source too. When it comes to recruiting there are some major differences between JuCo and other levels. One of the biggest differences is that JuCo coaches are accessible. And they will talk with you. Recruiting budgets are pretty limited and on campus tryouts are allowed so most coaches are cooperative with this approach. Whether it’s on an individual basis or in a camp setting. JuCo camps are affordable, the ratio of coaches to players is usually favorable, and decision makers are always in attendance. Regardless of a player’s level of ability (assuming that he is a college prospect) I always advise HS players to try and develop JuCo interest first, and go from there. You never know when a JuCo connection will help out.