Skip to main content

Reply to "2023 High School Baseball Season"

@adbono posted:

The players that get cut (and their parents) may well be upset, but what your coach is doing is in the best interests of the team and the program in general. My opinion may not be in the majority but I believe HS sports should be a meritocracy. And the best players should play regardless of their age. Keeping a bunch of seniors that aren’t good enough to get on the field is a recipe for disaster. Some inevitably turn into malcontents and team chemistry is destroyed. It boggles my mind that so many families think their kids are entitled to be part of a HS sports team just because they are a student in the school. And giving in to that nonsense is not doing kids any favors. It sets them up to fail.

You're exactly right.  I had a mom tell me, "No senior should ever get cut if they have been in the program for 3 years, even if they wont play."  All I could do was smile and nod.  The coach has been telling all the seniors for 6 months that he would be making cuts, so its no surprise.  He's even having a meeting with all the senior parents before tryouts.