Skip to main content

Reply to "2023 High School Baseball Season"

@adbono posted:

The players that get cut (and their parents) may well be upset, but what your coach is doing is in the best interests of the team and the program in general. My opinion may not be in the majority but I believe HS sports should be a meritocracy. And the best players should play regardless of their age. Keeping a bunch of seniors that aren’t good enough to get on the field is a recipe for disaster. Some inevitably turn into malcontents and team chemistry is destroyed. It boggles my mind that so many families think their kids are entitled to be part of a HS sports team just because they are a student in the school. And giving in to that nonsense is not doing kids any favors. It sets them up to fail.

We experience this in my son's high school team. Adbono, I am pretty sure you are familiar with the reputation of my son's school carrying an army for a varsity team. The 2023 class is one of the largest classes to come through in while. I believe we have 36 kids on the varsity team this year. That is up from 34 last year. There will be only 12-13 players that actually play. You have a half a team of parents in the stands questioning every move by coaches and players. The program has historically been one of the more successful in the state, so as long as the teams keep winning, it is hard to argue with how coach manages the roster. Never understood why coach carries that many. It almost feels like coach "rewards" them with a roster spot for part of being part of the program up to that point.