Skip to main content

Reply to "2023 LHP recruiting tips?"

I thought now would be a good time to update this. Around 2-3 weeks ago, I got to pitch in a game for the first time since July. My velocity was around 84-86, which was about a 2 mph jump from early February when I first started throwing pens. I was happy with that because I was able to hit my spots and control the zone even if it wasn't where I was last summer. All that mattered was that I felt good enough to throw, so I was pretty excited.

I asked my dad to take some videos, and I realized that my arm action was slow and my hip-shoulder separation seemed to be pretty bad. For the past 2 or 3 weeks, I took about 2 hours of my day after practice to stretch out my lower body and work out the stabilizers in my shoulders with light weights/bands. It probably wasn't a good idea to work out my shoulders every day, but I thought it was fine since I wasn't using anything heavier than a med ball.

A few days ago, I got to come in to close against a conference rival. I don't exactly know what happened, but the ball felt like it was flying out of my hand. My control wasn't the greatest, but I got the job done and gave up no runs through two innings. I learned after that I was sitting 87-89 and topped at 90.

I still don't feel 100% recovered because it takes about a year, but I've been cleared to pitch and am definitely on the right path to recovery. I'm still not cleared to lift weights above 50 pounds, but I've been keeping up with my strength, so I think I've actually gained muscle. I can definitely tell that there's more in the tank.

All of this leads me to what I was going to ask, so I'm sorry if this was super long. I was thinking that now would probably be a good time to try to get on some coaches' radars. It doesn't seem like posting on twitter is getting a lot of attention from D1s, and it's only jucos that are reaching out to me. I definitely think junior college could be a good option, but I really want to pursue a 4 year school. For someone who doesn't go to PG/big tournaments, would the best option still be to email coaches? I really want to end up somewhere in the midwest or nearby.

For those who haven't read the whole thread I'll put some measurements below

6'4", 230lb LHP, young 2023, FB 87-89 T 90, 29 ACT (30 SS)