Skip to main content

Reply to "2023 LHP recruiting tips?"

First congrats!  Great to hear you are back and no doubt your pitchability improve plenty with more mound time.  Seems there is more in the tank if not working yet with weights - I am bullish.  Good stuff.

IMO, it is a decent time to sit down with your parents and decide what you want out of a college experience and then make a plan of action.  Too wide of a net makes it hard to chase up on all that you need to.  If you choose to focus on HA,  in our experience  and conversations last year (I have a 2022 LHP), you are a Patriot League candidate, also Ivy and most all D3 on the board- I am sure more conferences but just not familiar enough with others.  30 ACT assuming grades to match should be okay for all of these.   Might be worth one more crack at that ACT for that superscore.

I would do this in next 1-2 months-

1) get to a PBR event or to a facility where you can get a trusted/verified radar number that you can quote.

2)  find a coach/trainer/advisor with credibility who can speak to college coaches on your behalf.  If that means seeking a known pitching coach or something more creative than a club coach, get in motion to build a relationship.

3) film a less than 2 minute video of pen.  Put in YouTube format and then you can attach link to videos when emailing coaches.
4)  reach out to club teams in you area that do go to bigger tournaments and look to guest at some bigger events.  P is the one position where someone will usually will take on to have more arms.  Try to work on a summer schedule that includes tourneys that get traffic.  Generally speaking a college coach ,for your profile (IMO), will want to see you 2 times live. Make it easy for them- attach your expected schedule.  Some coaches will also send out where they go and if there are a couple top targets, google the coach name and recruiting schedule to see if you can find it or past ones.  You can also go to their camp-once you know they are interested ( I wouldn’t randomly pick school camps without invites, wastes too much time and money).

When you get most of these things then send emails with all of this included.   You need either to make it easy for them to understand your skill level or you need to find someone who will make calls for you.  There is a whole world of advisors that make calls as well but it is $$$.  There are also showcases like HF and such where I think you would get plenty of interest but I would advise going earlier than later.

if you have aspirations for a  higher baseball level than I mentioned, someone else can provide better advice as above was our sandbox.

Best of luck, look forward to hearing of your success.

Last edited by BBSBfan