Skip to main content

Reply to "2023 RHP, 6-7, 195, 85-87 FB + An Academic Conundrum"

There were schools recruiting my son that basically told him our baseball players don't major in STEM fields.  There is generally a collision between a few classes offered and practice and lifting times.  Luckily the one of the schools he was most interested in was a mid-major whose coaches had no issue with players missing some workouts in their upper class years.  By that point the players should be more mature and get the necessary work done.    He was a pitcher also with 30+ hours (most coaches know that academically these players are not a risk) but they all don't necessarily count depending on required elective clusters.  A pitcher missing practice or showing up late for practice is a lot easier to manage than a position player so you should see what may work.  Your son's size should make him very attractive to most teams.    The additional credits also made it workable to take a lighter load during the season when games and travel schedules impact classes.  It is free to ask the questions.  I would think a mid-major is a great fit for your son.  My son's school had a STEM program scholarship which paired nicely with the baseball scholarship.  Drafted as a Junior he had like two specific courses to finish up his major in the Senior Fall semester.  My son threw mostly 86-89 in college.  He throws 92-94 now so you should expect some late blossoming velocity assuming he will add significant muscle mass to a great frame.  Things can work out very well at a Mid Major.  Probably will not compete for a national title but the player can have a good academic and baseball experience.  It really depends on how the coaches run the program.