Skip to main content

Reply to "2024 High School Baseball Season"

@PTWood posted:

Not a fan of this approach. Playing little mind games for no discernible reason in a sport that doesn't work that way. Plus, I feel like it's hard enough to make decisions after a whole preseason of trying out and working out. Why do that to yourself every week?

Also, not a fan of this, specifically posting a roster.  And 100% agree, baseball is not like other sports and motivation in this manner is not conducive to development.  I've seen coaches use this little mind game to give the kids he already knows are making the team a "kick in the pants" at what ends up being at the expense of the players he "acknowledges" (gaslighting).

I think if you are going to have winter practices you should also be having conversations with those participating in them, since these are the real tryouts anyway.  Expectations and evaluations can be handled in private with goals.

Kids know when a coach is full of BS because their actions don't follow in line with their words.

Up here, tryouts will be late march, season starts first week of April.  Winter practices before school and strength training after school have been going on since Late November.