Skip to main content

Reply to "2024 High School Baseball Season"

@Master P posted:

Finished the regular season as conference champs in one of the top leagues in the state.  Regionals start next week.  It's a 4 team, single elimination tournament to determine the 8 that go to the state tourney with the same format.  I envy you states with Best of 3 configurations.

Texas has a best of 3 format, unless both coaches agree on a 1 gamer. But a ridiculous number of teams qualify for the playoffs. In 6A alone it’s something like 128 teams (32 districts X 4 teams per district) that make the playoffs. In order to get to the final 4 a 6A team has to win 5 rounds of best of 3. That’s a lot to navigate and inevitably some really good teams get knocked off in the process. The final 4 is single elimination - which allows no margin for error after everything that has to happen just to get there. As a result of this format a lot of teams have a legitimate chance. 50 years ago an unheralded team from West Texas (that had 11 losses - twice the amount of the other 3 final 4 teams) beat a San Antonio HS (that had a first round draft pick at SS) in the semifinals and beat a Houston HS (that had the #1 overall pick in the ‘73 MLB draft) in the championship game to win the 1st State Championship in the history of that HS. That was my HS team. Nobody had heard anything about us and we were lightly regarded. But 5 of us went on to play in the SWC after HS. The #1 draft pick (who we didn’t face) was David Clyde, a LHP chosen by the Texas Rangers. Clyde was the most dominant pitcher I have ever seen. Google his HS stats - they are mind boggling. We watched him strike out 19 (in a 7 inning game) in the semifinal game vs Galena Park with a 95 mph FB (that was never straight) and a CB that buckled knees. Keep in mind the 95 was on the old gun. It would be more like 100 today. The State Tournament in Texas is more than worth the price of admission. You are like to see future big leaguers. And if you are fortunate enough to make it as a player, you will be facing off against incredible talent. It’s a very cool event and I highly recommend it even if you have no dog in the hunt.