Skip to main content

Reply to "2024 RHP from CA not playing much. Possible D1/P5 recruit. What to do?"

@DD 2024 posted:

Hey now that's great insight.

I have older kids who will play college sports. One of them dominated in 10U-12U and will go on to play D3 in college. It was very hard for us to scale down our expectations. Took years, but reality is here. And it's 100% fine. More than fine.

So maybe the question should be - what makes a D3 vs mid D1 vs high D1 vs pro player? One amazing pitch that can fool batters and a couple mediocre ones? Ability to mix pitches that all look the same at delivery? Change of speed? Two sets of pitches? Overpowering speed? Lots of height? Seems like someone should be able to draw up a matrix with probabilities.

With the exception of the top studs the college choice is a leap of faith. My son’s observation was there are 6-8 studs who are going to play. There are 6-8 at the back of the roster who are capable, but less likely. In between are 19-23 players all reasonably close in talent competing after the 6-8 studs for the other 12-14 spots of playing time where they will be considered contributors. Approximately 18-20 position players and pitchers in a given year receive enough playing time to be considered active contributors.

Of these 19-23 players competing for 12-14 spots it’s not about physical ability. It’s about mental and emotional stability and motivation. How do they handle not being handed a starting position for the first time in their life? If they start the season as a non contributor can they stay physically and mentally ready for when they receive the opportunity to prove themselves? Or will they mentally crash and burn if they don’t get immediate gratification? The opportunity may only be  facing one batter, or pinch hitting or pinch running. Success may only mean another opportunity to prove yourself. A kid may return soph year ready to perform and find a JuCo transfer junior at his position.

For the player the matrix is believe in yourself and don’t leave any effort unused. Yet, there are still plenty of transfers due to the choice not working out.

For the parent the matrix is the various antacid products. I remember posters here talking me off the ledge after my son had a major injury just as we were expecting offers to start coming in.

Last edited by RJM