Skip to main content

Reply to "2024's Recent D3 Visit"

@TravD posted:

Side note on roster size. A kid from my kids school is going to play football up north. Looked at the schools football roster on their website….. 206 kids! Crazy

Mount Union?

To the original poster, congrats.  Go to one of their games this spring.  Size your son up with the guys who are playing this spring and ask, am I (is he) good enough to beat out one of those guys?  My son and I were invited to a D3 practice and we watched them.  After practice, we both felt he was better than anyone on their roster.  That school won the D3 national championship a few years later.

If you add up all the JUCO's, NAIA's, D3's, D2's, and D1's, there are only so many guys who get to play.  That is what you are signing up for after high school regardless of where you go.  Whether guys are bouncing levels now does not change the musical chairs nature that only the best players get to play in college.  If a D1 guy bounces down to your roster, so what?  In college, if you want to play, you will have to beat one or more guys out that are as good as you or who are better.  If you like this school, then it is always going to be a competition thing regardless of the roster size.  If you are trying to get into MIT, or Johns Hopkins, or Cal Tech or something like that, you may be able to leverage baseball to get into a school that would otherwise deny admission.  Since you mentioned the Midwest, some of the most competitive D3 baseball schools exist right here - especially in Ohio.  Schools that routinely make regionals.  I believe Baldwin Wallace from our area made the D3 College World Series last year.

Last edited by ClevelandDad