Skip to main content

Reply to "2024's Recent D3 Visit"

Cubsfan,

I read and re-read your very thoughtful post. As a bit of background, our son was recruited by a very similar sounding HC a number of years back. He was in his second year and had strong and very clear visions of the program he intended to build. This is a HA D3!

That coach has been incredibly successful at the D3 level including winning a National Championship and taking teams to the D3 World Series multiple times. He has also been selected as the NCAA coach of the year-all divisions. When he recruited our son and a number of others, he was clear, direct, and mostly succinct in outlining his vision and how the recruit sitting with him was expected to contribute (assuming the player did all the work expected.) As a side note, after his MILB career ended, our son returned to the program as an assistant and recruiting coordinator before moving to assistant positions at the D1 level.

With that background, to my reading, there is one MAJOR element missing from your son’s visit and the coaches presentation: where does your son fit, where do they see and value him in their program and is he a building block/foundation for how they see their team developing?

From what is posted, it seems your son had face to face time with the HC and assistant. I am not reading that they expressed a vision of how and where your son fits and how they value his skills and talents in how they intend to build their program.

in essence, to my reading, this was a general recruiting presentation without substance specific to your son, at least to this point.

Last edited by infielddad