Skip to main content

Reply to "2024s"

I agree with you 100% on regional challenges. We have baseball year round in FL. In the fall we compete with football and in the spring we compete with basketball and sometimes football. I mentioned to another poster that the football coaches would literally come to our games to try to convince the kids to leave to go play in a football game. It was a tug of  war. Even now in high school it is hard to get the kids to put in the right training and throwing because the football and basketball coaches are constantly trying to get them for tournaments.

Here in FL kids can play rec for free starting at tee ball. Travel used to start at 9u but now there are teams as young as 7u. Good players of a low-income family won't have trouble finding a team to let them play for free.

When I refer to good HS players I'm referring to potential college prospects. If they aren't a potential college prospect and that is the goal, playing on a team may not be the best for them anyway. They should be training to get biggerfasterstronger until they are.

Totally agree.  IMHO, the from what I'm seeing the South has made some significant inroads with respects to this issue via Minority Baseball Prospects.

I believe there are about 4 or 5 organizations that are trying to help.