Skip to main content

Reply to "2025 mom saying Hi!"

NY - one thing that I have learned that I will pass on...

My son is a 2022.  I introduced him to baseball when he was little.  Did T-ball at 6.  Started travel at 8.  Was in Little League from 6 to 12, and I was often his manager or coach.  (Like 99% of the time.)  I steered him away from the local community travel program run by volunteer dads and towards academy teams that I had vetted through research.  This is all a path that I am sure many would say mirrors their situation as well.

Then, around 13U, I started to move further away.  Now, at 15U, all I do is write checks and chauffeur him around.  He's taken full control of his baseball journey.  It's HIS decision and HIS obsession.  He has set HIS goals.  He pushes himself.  Literally, there are weeks in the off-season where he's training 5 or 6 days a week.  It's his call.  He wants to chase after it.  Once in a while, my wife and I will tell him "No, you need a day off.  You can't train 5 days in a row" (or something like that).  But, otherwise, we let him do his thing because...it is his thing.

Your's is 11 1/2?  You've got some time.  But, not as much as you may think.  That teenager/puberty thing is coming soon.  If he really has the baseball bug, he will be ready to start taking off on his own around 13U.  When it happens, don't panic and don't fight it.  

It's all good.