Skip to main content

Reply to "25% Rule"

BBMomAZ posted:
MidAtlanticDad posted:
LetItGo posted:

Okay, I was mistaken...they offered 20k, not 20%. So, help me out here...the school's total cost of attendance is 75K (ouch). You take 20k off of that = 55k. I do the Net Price Calculator and let's say it says I have to pay 25K. I then apply for financial aid and hope for the best? Is that how this works? 

Better than that. If NPC says you will likely owe 25K, and his baseball scholarship is 20K, you will owe 5K for the year. That's assuming that the coach was specifically referring to a 20K athletic scholarship, and not some other type of aid. If your son is serious about this school, you should run the NPC then schedule time to talk details with the coach and with Financial Aid. The NPC is just an estimate.

I'm not sure this is how it works at all schools. My son was informed by one school he was talking to that need-based financial aid (loan free) and an athletic scholarship could not be combined. So I would clarify with the school.

Correct. It's one or the other. Academic scholarships and athletic scholarships, however, can be combined, per this NCAA rule:

15.5.3.2.4.1 Academic Honor Awards -- Based on High School Record. Academic honor awards that are part of an institution’s normal arrangements for academic scholarships, based solely on the recipient’s high school record and awarded independently of athletics interests and in amounts consistent with the pattern of all such awards made by the institution, are exempt from an institution’s equivalency computations, provided the recipient was ranked in the upper 10 percent of the high school graduating class or achieved a cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.500 (based on a maximum of 4.000) or a minimum ACT sum score of 105 or a minimum SAT score of 1200 (critical reading and math) for SAT tests taken before March 1, 2016; or a minimum SAT score of 1270 (critical reading and math) for tests taken on or after March 1, 2016, based on the concordance determined by the College Board. 

15.5.3.2.4.1.1 Additional Requirements. The following additional requirements shall be met:

(a) The awards may include additional, nonacademic criteria (e.g., interviews, essays, need analysis), provided the additional criteria are not based on athletics ability, participation or interests, and the awards are consistent with the pattern of all such awards provided to all students;

(b) No quota of awards shall be designated for student-athletes;

(c) Athletics participation shall not be required before or after collegiate enrollment;

(d) No athletics department staff member shall be involved in designating the recipients of such awards; and

(e) Any additional criteria shall not include athletics ability, participation or interests.

15.5.3.2.4.1.2 Renewals. The renewal of an academic honor award (per Bylaw 15.5.3.2.4.1) may be exempted from an institution’s equivalency computation regardless of whether the recipient qualified for exemption in his or her initial academic year enrollment, provided:

(a) The recipient achieves a cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.000 (based on a maximum of 4.000) at the certifying institution; and

(b) The recipient meets all NCAA, conference and institutional progress-toward-degree requirements.