Skip to main content

Reply to "2nd Annual Peninsula Pilots College Coaches Showcase (VA)"

I don't think there's any lack of VT interest in VA players or even in Hampton Roads players. I do think that you'll find that any ACC school or comparable level school is going to recruit nationally, so you'll only see so many VA kids in any one year.

Certainly VT has had all sorts of standout, VA-bred players in recent years. Justin Wright, Ronnie Shaban, Austin Wates, and any number of others.

I think VT generally did not have a big class of 2011. Not sure if that was just a numbers thing or a result of Hughes being totally without assistants during the summer of 2010.

I know that VT head coach Pete Hughes made a special trip to Princess Anne HS over the summer to see certain teams of interest play himself, in person, and he stayed for 2 full games.

I also know that VT is having a couple of VA teams come to its place this weekend to be seen on English Field, right Bobby? So it's not like there aren't opportunities for VA players to get recruited there.

Also bear in mind that, just like in football and other sports, VT has to compete for players and they don't get everyone they might have an interest in, any more than anyone else does. But I'm confident they'll get their share, or better, from year to year.