Skip to main content

Reply to "3 Top Factors In Choosing A College Program"

@LuckyCat posted:

Even if you think your kid is in that 1% that has a baseball career waiting after college, and he needs to make decisions about college with that in mind (and I agree that there are a very small few that need to do this to improve their draft chances), parents should still be their voice of reason and make sure they always have an eye on plan B.  As hard as they will have to work at their college baseball, they should do everything they can not to neglect their education or pick a basket-weaving major that is completely worthless upon graduation.  They should try to get as much as they can out of their classes.  Because even among that very small few that should pick college just for baseball, most of them will not end up with a baseball career, much less a very long one.

I see plenty of 23-year-old guys around Georgia coaching 13u and 14u travel teams who made this mistake.

^^^ that last sentence was harsh  but more likely true

Is it fair to say that the 1% with more baseball to play after college would have had the option after HS as well. I know I know some kids bloom late, esp pitchers, and I'm not trying to crush someone's dreams. The way I read this thread is basically a warning to take a true look in the mirror and be realistic. Dream big and swing for the fences, just don't get caught up trying to catch lighting in bottle at the expense of drifting away from a better option. 

ps. this comes from someone who is in the medical field and spent a long time putting himself through college to not have to worry about my next paycheck.