Skip to main content

Reply to "3rd strike appeal mechanic"

quote:
Frankly, therefump, I am with you.

To make the automatic override from the B or C would be much more controversial than going with your partner's call.

I can just see that call on a right-handed batter made from the C position.

You might as well just call time, call the BR out and preemptively eject his coach.

Now, since I'm an umpire and have limited vocabulary I did not articulate my position on this subject very well. Renoump said it succinctly.

I'll state it again: this type of call should be made on 3,4 man crews in MiLB and above. Maybe I can see it in American Legion Playoffs, HS Varsity, but in a 2 man crew there's no way as PU I'm going to allow this call to happen. If I'm BU I'm not gonna call it. If I'm PU and BU shows me up like that we're going to have a serious conversation after the game if we didn't discuss it pre-game.

Lastly, I would tie this into another thread about being blacklisted from a league. If I start enforcing rules such as the above in LL, etc. you're **** right they'd blacklist me and I wouldn't blame them. They don't understand the nuances of the rules. I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM COACHES ABOUT THIS (Did you know this is possible, etc.)