Skip to main content

Reply to "3year + 2year dual degrees in engineering"

NE Dad

My son is currently enrolled in a 3/2 engineering program. He has already transferred to finish his engineering degree after finishing three years at a liberal arts college. He is redshirting this year and will complete his baseball career next year. I will offer some cautions when exploring this route for your sons educations. Have a long discussion with the 3/2 program director at the liberal arts school to determine if he/she really understands the requirements of the engineering curriculum that your son will transfer to. You'll find that many have no idea what will be required by the next school.Also thoroughly investigate the engineering schools that the LA school lists as having an association with. These arrangements seem to change from year to year. Your sons LA classes will obviously be heavily slanted towards math and science, but I think you will find that he will be taking some courses in these areas just to fill up the three years. Also prepare monetarily for more than 5 years because it is virtually impossible to finish the engineering requirements in 2 years due to scheduling problems. I have been a professional engineer for 30 years, thought that I understood some of theses issues, but was still shocked at the lack of coordination between the two institutions that supposedly had an arrangement.
All that being said, I am still a proponent of the LA educational experience as I feel my son has developed well due to the small class experience coupled with the requirements of spoken and written presentation. He will never just be a number cruncher during his future engineering career. Many here have stated that baseball and engineering are an impossible combination. I haven't found that to be true. Difficult but not impossible. Son has been 3 time academic all conference and two time all conference selection - the most valuable pitcher on his team and recently nominated for Chi Epsilon honor fraternity. I think the discipline required for baseball and engineering compliment each other. Needless to say we are very proud of him. Sorry to be so long but I wanted to check in on this thread.
Last edited {1}