Skip to main content

Reply to "4A South Regional"

Originally Posted by GoHeels:
Originally Posted by Midlo Dad:

Hanover needed 8 innings to squeak by Nansemond River, 3-2.

I know Casey started for Hanover but beyond that, hopefully someone who was there can supply details.  Must've been a good game!

Hanover scored 3 runs, mostly off of NR mistakes,  (errors and free bases) against what has been a very stout defense.  Nansemond River third baseman has a chopper in the first inning, hit the lip and stay down, right between the legs.  That run scored to give Hanover a 1-0 lead.  The NR third baseman had committed ONE error the entire season.

Nansemond River worked Casey to death.  Forced him into long counts, drew walks, and squared him up several times.  NR tied it up 1-1 in the 2nd.

In the 3rd, I think it was, the NR rightfielder charged a line drive, and then just stopped...the ball landed just in front, hopped over his shoulder, and rolled all the way to the fence for a single + 2 base error.  A fielder's choice later, Hanover leads 2-1.

In the 5th, Nansemond River ties it up 2-2, and chases Casey from the game having forced him up to 99 pitches.

Nansemond River had multiple runners on base almost every inning.  (I believe they 12-13 LOB). The real story is Hanover's ability to less with more, and manufacture what they needed.  On the other side, NR outhit Hanover, but couldn't quite get the runners across when needed.  Also, Hanover's relievers, Moore and Denton, did a tremendous job of keeping NR off balance, in relief of Casey.

Robert Fitzwater was on the mound for NR, and flat out threw a gem.  I think he gave up 3 hits through 7 innings. 

Hanover took the 3-2 lead in the 8th after the bases had been loaded with two outs, on a hit, a walk, and HBP.  The winning run was then walked in on a borderline pitch, before the final out was recorded.

NR got a leadoff single in the bottom of the 8th.  I forget how, but the runner got to second base.  The final out was made, with the runner on 2nd, as NR leadoff man, Shane Woods hit a missile 364 ft to center field.  The Hanover CF makes a fantastic running catch into the wall, which is 365 ft!   If he doesn't make that play, the game is tied.  With a runner on either 2nd or third with the meat of the order on deck.

It was a great game between two very good teams.  The sentiment afterwards on both sides, from those that I spoke to, seemed to be that the State Championship game had just been played.

It was a tight game from beginning to end.  A game with 2 teams of this caliber should be a tight game.  I will say that the strike zone was also tight.  Did I say tight?  What I really mean is TIGHT as a gnats butt.  Both starting pitchers and all subsequent pitchers had a hard time finding the spot.  Hanover was a little more aggressive with the bats while NR was more patient which drove up the Hanover pitch counts.  From the beginning, this game just seemed like one of those that neither team was going to win...someone was going to lose.  Very good teams and quality coaching.   I agree totally with GoHeels.  It was a great game between two very good teams, it's a shame that they both cannot move on.

Last edited by baseba11dad