Skip to main content

Reply to "6 D1s on HS Team"

Son played on a team that ended up nationally ranked in a number of polls a few years back.  Place was a powerhouse - had 7 DI's on the Varsity (2 ACC recruits) and a few more on the JV including a future SEC recruit. 

It actually brings up an interesting point about what happens to the players when there is so many good players in such a small space. The games were life and death.  If you don't get the job done there are very capable players waiting to take your spot.  Much like college ball I suspect.

It was actually kind of shocking to watch a HS team dominate many opponents and have almost no fun doing it.  I can remember new parents being very peppy and cheerful at first but they became washed out like everyone else after about two weeks of games. 

It was always interesting to break in a new Dad.  I was taught when my son was in 8th grade from a parent that had an older kid and a son playing with mine.  It was right on the money so I never changed a word:

It won't ever be fun and if he doesn't start the first game as a Junior it might be over for him as far as being a player here. 

In hindsight it was all sad and unnecessary.  I think that having a team that is just playing the game for the games sake - would have been a lot more fun to watch and for the players to play.