Skip to main content

Reply to "60-yard dash speed, recruiting"

I am just looking for perspective. I have done alot of research. Would some of you mind giving feedback on a kids 60 or just a general opinion, especially that are at or above 6'2", +/- 200lbs? I am trying to get bearing on my 2016, weakest tool.... footspeed, he is no burner. In his defense he is not going to play a position where speed will be the 1st, or 2nd tool. I also understand a lug clogs up basepaths. If he gets below 7.0 thats a huge plus, for him in particular. I understand speed less detriment for P/C. My 2016 can and does score from 2nd, but that has just developed in the last 18 months as he has grown mentally/physically. He can haul once he gets up to speed, but still is not a blazer.
This is certainly not a scientific study, but a decent sampling.......I have personal abundant knowledge/experience/education of kinetics, anatomical growth, anatomy and physiolgy, weight lifting, diet, nutrition. I just do not use my skillset for baseball application.
I looked at the PG website, the 1st 200 class of 2016's for 60. I only looked at 6'3" or above and around 200lbs. I also tried to focus on RHP,CIF, C, even 3B. Either there was no time listed(which helped nada) or times were 7.0-8.2 range. There were 1 or 2 below 7.0, but barely. I recall one at 6.99.
I also looked at some of the taller/bigger MIF kids.
That puts 2016 in the middle and it drives him to work on speed, in the free time he does not have.

I understand the coveted # is 7.0, but what is the age that number is applicable? By the end of Sr. Season? I understand the implication if he were already below 7.0.
Is speed a tool that coaches can project that will improve as the kid matures, gains strength, leans ojt and matures? My 2016 is still more Pillsbury Dough Boy than lean. He also won't be 17 for 6 months. I get the jest that is an asset with power and velocity for some baseball athletes.

Times do drop for runners and swimmers as they "come together" athletically, physically
and with training. That's why records get PR's, WR's are broken from the pool, weights, track, high jump, etc.

My general observations(I am not an expert) are that many of the kids that were speed demons before puberty are not blazinly faster after puberty(some have slowed down, in the case of my 2016 he has sped up and closed the gap (and his speed goes down as he matures) many of the speedsters, that is their best tool and most are not above 6'2"

2016: 6'4", +/- 205lbs best 60yd time 7.5 at a college prospect camp in Nov 2014. Never laser timed, just at a few dozen hand timed college camps and at HS.

Alot of this Q&A is b/c 2016 is now "on the market". I never really have been concerned with how fast, how far, how hard as it never seemed necessary before puberty, or even before varsity, Jr. Yr.

Thanks for your help!

A newbie