Skip to main content

Reply to "60 yards"

EastCO posted:

Thank you all.  How great. 3 responses in a few hours.  So he is 5ft 7in; 125lbs.  Has a slight frame really.  I'm only 5ft 8in. Mom is 5ft 5in.  He is projected to get to 5ft 9-10in so pretty well into puberty.  Unfortunately got my genetics.  I played on a state championship tennis team and could of played D3.  Mom's side has a couple NFL players a gen back and sister is a NCAA champ ski racer.  The boy is very quick laterally.  Ran a 4.4 pro agility drill last month. 8ft standing long jump.  Advanced swing and hand-eye; hits w sneaky power from leg drive.  This year was an eye opener though.  Kids have gotten so big and strong compared to him.   His exit speed is 73.  throw velo around 75.  Realistically I think he will be a better fit for D3 which is maybe good as academics are the priority.  Still I would think that a high academic D3 will want him to be sub 7 to play corner OF or MIF.   Haha.  I guess I was fishing for validation that he could reach that.  Thanks everyone.  

A 14U with 73 mph exit velo and 75 mph throwing velo is fine. There is plenty of room for growth and no need to pidgeonhole your son to D3 ball yet. You don't know what you have until 16U or so. even then gains are made. Let him fill out a bit the next few years and see where he can go. A D3 does not require a sub 7 Corner OF/IF. 

Last edited by uncoach