Skip to main content

Reply to "60yd times (Getting Times down to 6.7 and below possible?)"

Interesting thread..always peaked when I see one on speed and 60 times. Initially being "fast" is God-given.. so son probably would be able to run a sub 7.00  60 time by "just showing up." What made him an elite runner was the work he puts in. When he ran a showcased 6.89 (I think) winter of freshman year, he was told by the evaluator that his running and quickness would be an asset in recruiting. So while he worked at arm strength (his low grade back then) he was told to "strengthen his strength" As others have mentioned getting stronger just by developing got him into the 6.7s. He took up indoor track his sophomore-senior years (winter season) where he ran sprints and worked on form with track coach. Then he was seeing 6.5s consistently. His best 60 in HS showcase was 6.40 which was December his junior year (smack in the middle of indoor track); once he got that time, he didn't think he could go lower and recruitment was in full throttle. He had purchased a weighted vest/gear that he uses in college during fall as well. He has focused more (and did towards the end of HS) on HTF times which college scouts and coaches wanted to see. If your son is a speedster, then it's best to go to a number of different showcases where his time can drop (more chances the better). As my son saw, conditions can vary greatly--weather, surfaces, etc. He also looked for the fastest gut to run with, if the 60's were run in pairs. Run straight and run past the line--many slow up.  Good luck.