Skip to main content

Reply to "61st Annual Pitch & Hit Club of Chicago Awards Dinner"

i copied this in case some of you who were not there but like to make comments........

Roland Hemond, White Sox executive advisor to the GM, serves as the Honorary
Chairman of the Board for the Pitch and Hit Club. (Tom Hood/AP)

CHICAGO -- Watching the 2005 White Sox race to their first World Series title in almost 90 years and following the Detroit Tigers' rise as AL champions last year was certainly inspiring.
But it was the stories of heroic life-changing moments, with baseball as the vehicle, which produced the truly moving and awe-inspiring situations at Sunday's 61st Annual Pitch and Hit Club Awards Evening at the Stephens Convention Center, located just minutes from O'Hare Airport.

"What an inspirational night," said White Sox executive advisor to the general manager Roland Hemond, who serves as the Honorary Chairman of the
Board for the Pitch and Hit Club. "It's one I'll never forget."

"It was a special night, with a couple of great stories, and I'm really glad I was here," added Cubs general manager Jim Hendry. "Anyone who doesn't
appreciate what this organization does is missing something."

The Pitch and Hit Club was formed by a group of Major League players and scouts in January, 1942 -- according to the program for Sunday's event -- and was formed to develop a fellowship among Chicago baseball professionals and to promote goodwill toward the game. All of the close to 1,000 people in
attendance could appreciate the club's mission after the evening's six hours of festivities, which included an autograph session, dinner, 24 awards
presented in a little more than two hours and Maury Wills as the special guest speaker.

There were plenty of well-deserved baseball honors handed out. Dan Durst of the White Sox received the Nick Kamzic Scout of the Year Award, White Sox
groundskeeper Roger Bossard was named the team's Executive of the Year and White Sox director of community relations Christine O'Reilly was presented
the Mary-Frances Veeck Woman of the Year Award by White Sox hitting coach Greg Walker.

Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti, a Chicago native, was selected Major League Executive of the Year, and Cubs president John McDonough was feted
with the Bill Veeck Lifetime Achievement Award. McDonough quipped that when he received the news from Pete Caliendo, the Pitch and Hit Club's president, he pointed out in all due respect that he was only 53. "I also told Pete that I do believe I age in Cubs' years, so I look older than that," said McDonough, drawing a laugh from the crowd.

Bob Watson, Major League Baseball's vice president of on-field operations, was presented with the final award of the night as the Humanitarian of the
Year. Detroit earned the Major League Organization of the Year, Curtis Granderson took home the Chicago Area American League Major League Player of
the Year and Josh Fields, Jerry Owens and Ryan Sweeney shared the White Sox Minor League Player of the Year Award.

The night's most moving moment, though, centered on the presentation of the Patriot Award to war veteran Bryan Anderson, for whom the awards dinner was dedicated. Anderson, a native of suburban Rolling Meadows, Ill., lost both legs and his left arm in an attack while serving in the United States Army in Baghdad. "Sometimes it can be so easy to forget just how blessed you are and what you have been able to accomplish." -- Former Sox player and current broadcaster Chris Singleton, on playing baseball at a high level. Anderson received the respect and hero's treatment befitting of someone who gave up so much for his country. He was given his award by White Sox centerfielder Brian Anderson, an experience that touched the young outfielder. "Someone who has given up what he has given up could have easily taken a negative turn and dwelled on it, feeling sorry for himself," said Anderson, the player, of Anderson, the hero, before presenting him with an authentic No. 32 Anderson jersey. "But the small time I've spent with him, he's a real standup guy. "He takes the time to come out to stuff like this to help other people, which shows you the kind of guy he is," Anderson added.

Brian Stewart earned the Amateur Comeback Player of the Year Award, working his way back to pitch for the College of DuPage in 2006 after having his C-5
and C-6 vertebrae shattered in a 2004 car accident. The doctors' diagnosis was paralysis, but Stewart's set out to prove those doctors wrong by getting
back to the field. "I learned more from him than he ever did from me," said Dan Kusinski,
Stewart's coach, who presented him the award.

Chris Singleton, the former White Sox outfielder and current radio broadcaster, presented O'Fallon High School pitcher Brandon Gass with the Bo
Jackson Courage Award. Gass has battled his way back from three heart surgeries to continue his career on the mound.

In his speech to introduce Gass, though, it was Singleton who perfectly summed up how the passion of baseball can mean so much to life in general.
It was the evening's overriding theme, with hope springing eternal for the Cubs, White Sox and everyone in attendance.

"These young players will be inspired because of the gift they have been given and the talent to play in the Majors," Singleton said. "Sometimes it
can be so easy to forget just how blessed you are and what you have been able to accomplish.

"It's a humbling night for myself. I hope you file these memories as the fuel of inspiration as you go into the season."

<mailto:scott.merkin@mlb.com> Scott Merkin is a reporter for MLB.com. This
story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Last edited by Fungo Master