Skip to main content

Reply to "6u Flower Mound Tx"

Originally Posted by CoachJoe2727:
I think you both are taking things out of line and being a bit dramatic. Every child's skill level is different. Every child's want to play and want to compete is different. To get your child in position to succeed it is best to surround him with similar players. I am sorry you view and blog and respond without getting more facts. I wish you the best in your athletes development but it sounds like your ok with them being just an average player. This is why there are thousands of players stuck in the minor leagues and only a hand full make it to the show. I wish Cuba, Puerto Rico and Japan restricted their child's ability at a young age. They don't and don't question each other either. My purpose on this chat room was to find fathers with gifted athletes as myself and put them together so they can grow. Unfortunately I get immature responses asking for credential. Like I say about things they show or say on tv if you don't like it change the channel. I made my comments in hopes to find serious athletic families. If you don't like what you hear just move on. Vent to someone else.

Since we are from the same area; my son has played at Bakersfield Park more times than I care to remember and has some great friends a FM and Marcus HS...So take this with a grain of salt or a grain of sugar...

He didn't play ball until 7u and that was after he saw his buddies at tryouts.  He thought baseball was the dumbest game he ever saw.  He was an avg 7u kid but fell in love with the game.  At 8u; he made the local all-star team that won some Super Series tournaments and just missed their state tournament.  At 9u; he was invited to join a select team and was the #11 player on a 11 man roster.  Team went  46-9.  Of those 11 players, 5 start on their varsity team (2-3A, 1-4A, and 2-5A).  4 don't play baseball at all and 2 were on jv as juniors and not starting.  He is the only one that will be playing college baseball.  There was a kid that tried out for his team and was not good enough.  Tried out for his 10u, 11u and 12u but couldn't make team.  Kid signed a D1 scholarship this fall.

My son was never the best player on any team.  He played at 10u, 11u, 12u, etc and was never top player.  He was hurt middle of 13u season and ever kid on that team will be playing college ball.  4 will playing college football and others will be playing baseball. 

With all that said; here is a question that we would ask every kid at tryouts and every parent at tryouts.  "What is your baseball goal"

Kids will say college or MLB or such...that was great.  We wanted to get the kids to dream and have goals in life.  Talked about it constantly.

ANY parent that said college or pro baseball before 15u; kid was not allowed to play on the team.  Your son is way, way, way, way, way, way, way too young to be talking MLB and minors.  Take this with the love intended; you would be a headache parent to deal with.  The purpose of 6u ball is to have fun, learn the game and get ready for (wait for it, wait for it) 8u baseball.  Nothing more!!!

Yes, have your son on a good team and have fun and go win some tournaments and trophies. Nothing wrong with that; if your purpose is to get ready for 8u baseball.  Then when you get to 8u, your purpose is to have fun and get ready for 9u. 

Good luck with your son and the team.  Enjoy it all and please, please, please, please don't burn your son out.  Don't cut kids at 6u, 7u, or 8u.  You NEVER know who will continue to progress and who will have 8u baseball as their glory days.