Skip to main content

Reply to "6u Flower Mound Tx"

When the kids turned eleven a coach from our rival LL and I decided at 13u we would put together a travel team of players from our LL district. The idea was four former college players would help these kids get ready for high school ball. And we would be competitive. We both watched all star players for two years our sons team's competed against.

One day at the host team's LL field I was told the legend of Billy. Billy was driving baseballs onto the rooftops on the other side of the street behind right field. Billy never lost a LL game during the season or all stars. He struck out 12-15 per game.

I figured Billy was a strong lefty with a sweet swing driving balls to rooftops in right field. Billy was 5'8, 170 and built like a man. He was a strong righty who swung like a rusty gate and muscled balls the other way. As a pitcher he showed the ball way too early. But he threw 75.

There's no such thing as too much pitching. So I figured this kid would be serviceable for a couple of years. Plus maybe our pitching coach who made it to AAA could fix the mechanics. Then I met the dad and mom. Dad was 5'4. Mom was maybe 5' in heels. The dad wanted to know if professional scouts would be at our 13u games. Turned out Dr Jekyl was Mr Hyde when his son was playing. I passed on the kid. No, I passed on the dad.

Fast forward to freshman year. My son's high school jv team pounded the pee out of this kid on the mound. He had grown one inch since LL. He threw upper 70s and straight as an arrow. He was a terrible third baseman and hitter. Soph year on jv I was told the kid was no longer hitting. After that year he was no longer playing. Turns out this kid was also a legendary QB as a preteen who washed out of high school football.

I will say the kid was a very nice, polite kid. He was very modest about his preteen accomplishments. He got embarrassed if the conversation was about him. It was surprising considering the dad was a walking, talking billboard for the kid. The dad walked around all stars calling his kid "The ticket to Williamsport." They didn't make the district quarter finals due to the other pitcher who was another man child. But the other pitcher became a quality high school shortstop and point guard.