Skip to main content

Reply to "7 day program for 16 year old"

TPM posted:

Please make sure the workout is age specific.  He doesnt need a ML workout program.

Agreed, and great point that unfortunately is not often considered.  I enjoy the sport of Weightlifting (the kind in the Olympics) in addition to baseball, and frequently read about the latest program the Chinese National Team is following, or what this or that Olympian is doing.  As if someone with 2 years of training under their belt should be doing the same routine.  It doesn't work that way.  The question they should be asking is, "what did they do when they were only 2 years in, to build the base that got them to where they are now?"

So, as TPM points out, no need to be doing a MLB program as a 16 year old.  What did they do when they were in HS to build their base?  2ForU gives a pretty good start.

I didn't read all of the workout in the link.  I stopped when it recommended sets of 15 power cleans.  PLEASE do NOT do sets of 15 power cleans - risk of injury from technique degradation definitely outweighs the benefits.  I highly recommend doing cleans (as long as you have been taught proper and safe technique), but keep it at sets of 3.