Skip to main content

Reply to "800 LB Gorilla in the Room - Bad or Good Call on the Utley "Slide" in NLDS"

I don't have skin in the game with these two teams but this type of slide came up in a thread a month or so ago.  Yeah, he was sort of in the base path but didn't start sliding until WELL past the bag.  It seems to be within the MLB rules but they keep letting it get further and further out of control.  I've seen so many of these types of slides where there is clearly no intent to catch the bag and the slide starts or goes well beyond.  This needs to change.  Sliding hard INTO the bag is fine - part of the game.  Taking out the MIF that wants to occupy the space between runner and bag is fine - part of the game.  Going three feet PAST the bag or more should not be fine.  It's fairly easy to see.  I just don't get it.  The pic above is actually a perfect example.  He is well past the bag and just STARTING his slide.  No chance or intention of reaching the bag safely.  I guess it's going to take a flurry of torn up knees and broken legs to bring about obviously needed change, which is unfortunate.