Skip to main content

Reply to "800 LB Gorilla in the Room - Bad or Good Call on the Utley "Slide" in NLDS"

Originally Posted by SluggerDad:

Utley himself basically said that his intention wasn't to reach the base but to "put a body on the fielder" in order to break up the double play.  If you target the fielder and don't even make an attempt at the base, tell me how that is not interference?  Tell me how that is not unsportsmanlike conduct?

Because every major leaguer has exactly the same intent going into the bag. 

I agree with PG that Torre/MLB over reacted, which probably had a lot to do with all the commotion going on in the NY press over it. Had it been the other way around all of the NY papers and talk shows would have been saying that it was a "good hard play". From what I understand the Players Union will be showing pictures of multiple other "hard slides" that did not result in a suspension, I think they have a strong case.  

I also agree that the rule needs to be changed, or at least enforced within the language of the current rule. 

From what I read this morning the there is a good chance that Utley will play today because of the favorable match ups. That will be fun! I also hope they do not warn teams before the game and just let them play on. 

Last edited by BOF