Skip to main content

Reply to "800 LB Gorilla in the Room - Bad or Good Call on the Utley "Slide" in NLDS"

Originally Posted by PGStaff:

The only possible reason for the suspension from MLB is that they believe the slide was illegal.  In other words they had to view the slide different than the umpires.

Even if the call would have been made and a double play called ending the inning.  I don't think there would have been a suspension.  Is there any precedence for this suspension?  

I can see how this was a tough call by the umpire.  I can see how one could see it as within the rules or how you could see it being against the rules.  Had Utley actually reached for the bag it would have been different IMO.  But his slide was so late, he was actually past the bag before his hand could have reached the ground.

Anyway, no matter what the call, I don't understand the suspension at all. Whether legal slide or not, the intent is to break up the DP and win the game.  When that happens there is always a chance that either the fielder or the runner or both are going to get hurt.

When we were young we were taught how to cleanly take out the MIF at 2B.  We were not taught this rolling block technique.

Probably like most everyone here, I have watched that video numerous times. In regular speed, slow motion, frame-by-frame and I guess I'm just seeing something different. Yes, it was a late slide. But, I see him reaching for the bag. His hand is actually over the bag when his head makes contact with Tejada's knee. That impact is what twisted their bodies and threw Utley in a strange direction past second base. He definitely would have ended up past 2nd even without the violent collision, but I think he would have touched the bag in the process of sliding (on his knees) past the bag.  Below are a couple pics I found. Please disregard the meme and the message in the 2nd pic. Its the best still shot I could find and I don't endorse the message.

It's definitely not his most egregious slide this season, as far as being out of the base path or away from the bag. The 3rd pic is from earlier this season and he has no hope of touching the bag at all, but there was no suspension. I just don't like the inconsistent message from the MLB. It's like an inconsistent strike zone. If you don't know the rules, then it's hard to play the game.

Attachments

Images (3)
  • utley
  • Utley3
  • Utley2