Skip to main content

Reply to "800 LB Gorilla in the Room - Bad or Good Call on the Utley "Slide" in NLDS"

He wasn't going into 2nd base?  Here's a picture directly down the 1st base line.  He is certainly going into 2nd base...

I really don't understand all the outrage.  I've said it before, I'll say it again - EVERY player is taught to break up the DP from the time he starts playing baseball.  How can you say that he should be called out because he was trying to "take out" the SS???  It's what EVERY runner does in this situation.  And there are plays in which the runner was WAY, WAY further away from the base than Utley was here.  Look at the 3rd picture in kandkfunk's post above.  Utley isn't anywhere near the bag, yet no one made a stink about it.

Maybe there needs to be a rule change.  Maybe some people feel that he shouldn't have gone in that hard.  But, he did not violate any rule.  He just didn't.  I think if you want to argue about this play, argue that the rules need to be changed.  Not that what Utley did was wrong.  In my opinion, if a player has a problem with this play, they are a hypocrite.  I guarantee EVERY MLB player has gone into 2nd trying to take out the MI to break up the DP.  It is a part of baseball.