Skip to main content

Reply to "8th grader bat flip and dance"

RJM - Your post that I responded to was geared specifically to selfish "ME" based actions comments you made but you do circle back to the original post.

It is impossible for a pro athlete to be successful for any length of time without professionalism, maturity and commitment to the job.  To suggest otherwise is misguided.  Any on field jumping around or antics does not detract from that. 

My other point was baseball players have always "celebrated" thereby creating the irony that baseball is the root of excessive celebrating not the exception.  They are no more or less professional than their peers.  They were doing it 75 -100 years before the NFL or NBA existed and never eliminated it, otherwise the "unwritten rules" would never have existed.  That is lost on the baseball purist in these discussions.  The taunting was so awful that players decided it was acceptable to have pitchers throw at each other when someone went too far.  You may not like the fact that baseball is the owner of the original sin on celebrations being a problem - but it is just that - a fact.   The bat toss is just the newest fad on the age old issue.

There is no arguing the monkey see...monkey do of kids mimicking their favorite actions.  It is true, always has been and always will. 

As far as how appropriate it is for an 8th grader getting this much oxygen...you get no argument from me but welcome to 2016.  Now a days people think I am odd because I don't like my picture being taken but camera's are everywhere filming everything so there is just more stuff to see and comment on.  Trending isn't going away anytime soon.  In my time children were to be seen and not heard.  Not so anymore and that genie isn't going back in the bottle either. 

So this much I suspect we'd agree on -  I am not a fan of 13 year olds getting attention this broadly for almost anything.  I might make an exception if they saved someone's life or similarly heroic deed otherwise I don't want to hear anything about them. 

Then again no one gives a damn about what I want otherwise the world would be a better place.