Skip to main content

Reply to "8th grader bat flip and dance"

The fact of the matter is this. Our opinions of the subject are largely irrelevant (other than the ability to subtract our $$ from the equation). It is up to todays players to police the game & determine what they will & will not tolerate. The way I did it, the way you did it or the way we think it should be currently done is not really a factor in how it is going to be done, other than how we may influence our own players.

I, personally, thought Bautista's bat flip was chicken #* it. Matt Bush, who drilled him, obviously agreed. Bautista took offense to this with the tackle slide into Odor who tried to decapitate him with a submarine throw which had absolutely no intent to  get to first base. Bautista took offense to that & then bowed up & promptly got his ass kicked. It is old school baseball. Nasty, mean, self policing & with passion. I can promise you Bautista will think 2X before the next flip. He may still do it, but he will definitely reconsider.

Harper (let's make baseball fun again but I never smile on the field) obviously has a different take on things as do many of the new wave. Several others of the new generation were raised to "act like you have been there & respect the game," which is my personal preference but again, is not really a factor. I personally, like the old school rivalries when the Yankees & Red Sox wanted to demolish each other & there was absolutely no possibility of high fives & group hugs with opposing players in the outfield pregame.