Skip to main content

Reply to "90 mph pitcher but 65 mph catchers"

I'm reading this thread with interest. Last season (son's JR year) my LHP grew tired of watching his 3rd strike go between the catcher's legs. Our catcher kept standing up as my lefties pitch came in. He was afraid, and he was a senior! He would either miss the ball or block the umpire.
This year our varsity will have only 2 returning players, my son and another LHP. Our best hope for a catcher had shoulder surgery during Dec. and might not play. He was only a soph., but good.
So..... we're facing my son's SR season with several pro scouts planning to attend. Hopefully the scouts are disciplined enough to watch my son pitch and not pay attention to the play (or lack of play) on the rest of the field. Or maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised and the younger players will be hungry enough to rise the occasion! Either way, my son is preparing himself to maintain his focus no matter what happens. It might be tough since the presence of pro scouts is so important to him.
TPM...I hear what you're saying about adjusting to the team around you, but I'd hate for him to change how he pitches when he's being watched. It's not like we can sit beside the scout and say, "you know, he can throw harder but our catcher can't handle it."