Skip to main content

Reply to "90's"

Originally Posted by BackstopDad32:

TPM I completely get where you are coming from.  

In this case I think they did everything right. No breaking balls until HS. Worked out with a Cressey trained guy. On and on. 

Quite frankly IMO my own son would be at much greater risk based on his youth baseball experience. Caught and pitched a lot.  Plenty of breaking balls.  Only difference is mine only touches 86-87. 

Maybe not. Most research leads me to believe breaking pitches SAVE wear on the arm compared to those who throw a steady diet of fastballs. Less stress on the elbow from a curve than a fastball. See Nissen, "A Biomechanical Evaluation of the Kinetics for Multiple Pitching Techniques in College-Aged Pitchers." Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine. October 2013 vol. 1 no. 5      

Hypothesis of that study: The curveball and slider/cutter produce greater moments on the shoulder and elbow compared with the fastball and change-up.

Conclusion of that study: This study shows that the fastball and not the curveball or slider/cutter produced the greatest moments on the college pitcher’s          glenohumeral and elbow joints, as previously believed. The study also shows that the change-up may be the safest of the 4 pitch types analyzed.