Skip to main content

Reply to "A Coach's Diary- Year One"

I have a lot of respect for Coach2709 and his advice is sound.  However, I'm that other guy.  I lay out the expectation for what it takes to be in my program and then let it be known that if those expectations are not met, then whomever violates those expectations will be thrown off the team.  I have never cared what might happen in the community or about mom and dad.  When I came to my school, I had a prima donna who didn't want to listen, was last in all of the drills, and who was late.  He was "All Conference First Team" and so, didn't think he had to compete for a job.  I expected the team to be on the field at 2:55.  That is 25 minutes after school got out.  If I could make it from the other side of school, get to the locker room, change and be on the field, then everyone should be able to make it.  3 days after tryouts were done, he had not made it to practice on time once and yet the entire V and JV had.  So, I waited that fourth day but told him the 3rd day that if he can't be to practice on time, he can't play.  I waited up by the school and there he was walking his girlfriend out to her car, talking to friends and having a grand old time.  On that day, he would not have made the field by 3:10 or at least 15 minutes late.  I waited by our tennis courts and stopped him on the way to practice.  He told me his locker jammed which was a lie.  I told him I watched him walk the girlfriend out to the car, joke with his friends and now he lied to me.  We didn't need him and I booted him.  I replaced him with a freshman who became 1st Team All Conference for 4 years and was All State 1st Team his senior year. 

Coach Sampson, I really don't know how I would have responded when the player said that they were not going to do what I said.  I'm positive it would have involved him leaving practice.  That is disrespectful.  I am also positive that it would have involved calling the team together to model what is acceptable and what is not.   A few years ago, I was asked by the Regional Superintendent of Schools to give a coaching presentation to all of the coaches in my county regardless of sport that they coached.  I made several handouts.  Some were used as examples of what I give to students and some were examples of what I distributed to my coaching staff and posted in the coaching office.  I have one of each  attached.  Also, I have a handout for players that is an edited version of what other coaches posted either on this website or others but one I changed to fit my team.  I hope these handouts give you some ideas. 

Attachments

Files (3)
Coaching Thoughs Handout
What I know about successful Coaches
Now that you have made the team.
Last edited by CoachB25