Skip to main content

Reply to "A Coach's Diary- Year One"

As someone posted the players may never have been shown how to carry themselves and respect the game. When my daughter was twelve the high school baseball and softball teams were country clubs rostered by spoiled, undisciplined losers.

As my daughter's class hit middle school the new high school softball coach started attending middle school games when he could. He started building a rapport with his future players. One thing he emphasized to the middle school coach was teaching respect for the game. It wasn't hard given four of the future five high school stars had dads who played college ball. My daughter's class was very talented. As freshman the high school varsity went from last to first and won four straight conference titles. By the next year the five soph leaders of the team told any new player who was out of line "that's not how we do things here." The middle school grooming created an environment that lasted.

The baseball team finally hired a new coach when my son (five years younger than sister) was in 8th grade. He was a middle school teacher. He sometimes had lunch with his future high school players. He created a practice uniform. The players were instructed. YOU WILL wear it. THIS IS HOW you will wear it. The country club loser baseball team has now won three conference titles in six years after the previous coach had seventeen losing seasons in twenty years. My son's view on his baseball coach: He intimidated the hell out of me soph year. But we started winning.

Last edited by RJM