Skip to main content

Reply to "A Coach's Diary- Year One"

Originally Posted by SultanofSwat:

Just because you have the power to kick a kid off a team, doesn't mean you have to exercise it.

Every kid is redeemable.  Don't give up on him.

Of course, they don't have to start, or even play until redemption.

Sultan, I used to believe that.  Here is a tale of two kids.  One that demonstrates your point and one that does not.

In fact, that is not always the case.  One year I coached a young man (Player 1) in two sports and tried everything I could do to turn him around.  At the same time, I coached another (Player 2) on those two sports teams who I was told to cut because he was, "foul."  Both spent time with me including at my house and my wife and I spent considerable money trying to buy them better clothing etc.  Player 2 actually had a twin brother who refused to try at all to act right. 

Player 2 was the toughest kid in school regardless of grade level.  Player 2 did try to change and in fact, did change.  He tore his ACL and so, the wife and I paid his doctor bill and for him to get a CTI Brace.  In fact, when he acted bad at home which was easy because his twin brother was there, his mom would call me to come over to make him act right.  I can't tell you how proud I became of this young man.  He went on to demonstrate much of what you suggest in that every player can be redeemed.  In fact, this young man went on to play MLB and tried to give me his signing bonus which was substantial. 

Then, there was Player 1 who remained a problem and to the point that I kept a list of everything he had done wrong on the inside of my locker in the coaching office.  The school that I coached at during this time did not have a sophomore basketball team and I was the JV coach.  Still, to get some of these players playing time and help them out, I created a sophomore schedule and we took that team on the road for every game.  Remember, the school didn't have a sophomore team and so, they could never play at home.  In this time, this young man needed arc supports and so, my wife and I paid for him to go to a podiatrist and get fitted.  They cost us a substantial amount of money then.  When Player 1 reached 44 times on the list where he caused trouble etc. I threw him off of the team.  For that 44th time, he received a Technical for his bad behavior in the championship game of a tournament that I had to pay the entire bill for us to enter.  In fact, he was ejected from the game as he tried to fight the Referee and another player.  I realized that no matter what, he could not be saved! 

Player 1 made the local St. Louis news the other night as he was armed and tried to rob an apartment in his community.  Back in the day, I had a poster made which is up in my classroom right now.  It say, "You can't Feed a Rock."  It states that you can't teach someone who doesn't want to learn.  You can't help someone who doesn't want help.  You can't coach someone who refuses to be disciplined.  I am sad to say this but this is my experience. 

Edited to add:

I forgot to mention that Player 2's twin brother is in prison. 

Last edited by CoachB25