Skip to main content

Reply to "A Coach's Diary- Year One"

Freddy I believe it is more of they haven't been pushed before. I don't believe any of these kids have played anything besides rec ball in grade school and I know of only one who plays summer ball for a legion team. I believe the coach last year was a coddler and didn't push the kids out of their comfort zone. I've also heard stories of him actually apologizing to the kids for making them run as punishment.  It sounds like to me that the Varsity HC last year would be a great instructor but not a good coach.

The kids never had to work hard before high school because they knew that everyone had to play no matter what and that was fine for them. I still have one parent wondering why her son isn't playing. We've had to tell her that it is a safety issue to put him on the field because he is absolutely terrified of the baseball. I've seen him on several occasions actively get out of the way of a hump back liner. In the program there are about 5 kids that are there, not because they want to play baseball,  but because they want to be on a team/wear a uniform. We barely have enough bodies for a V and JV teams this year so the AD said we couldn't cut anyone.