Skip to main content

Reply to "A couple more balk questions"

quote:
Originally posted by Gingerbread Man:
Tonight in our city game I had the opposing coach conitnually trying to sway the umpire into calling my pitcher for a balk- here was the situation- runner on second with two out. The runner is obviously trying to get as big as lead as possible so that he can score on any hit or mistake. My pitcher knowing this will after he has come set, look directly at the catcher and go into his windup only he will turn his back completely to the batter as if he is going to make a throw towards second. This is all done as he is raising his stride foot. At the top of his leg kick and with his back all the way turned towards the batter he will suddenly look at second freezing the runner or even causing him to dive back. But instead of throwing to second,, my pitcher will just complete his leg kick, look back towards home and fire a strike to the unsuspecting batter, which also catches the batter off guard. It is all done in one smooth sweeping motion with no hesitation or pause.

No offense but this sounds like bad baseball all the way around. The baserunner sounds overmatched, I always wanted our pitcher picking up the target rather than jacking with the runner at second, and if a batter is caught off guard by what you described he needs to try playing s****r.